I LOVE Halloween. I love decorating. I love dressing up. I LOVE IT ALL!
Except one thing.
Intoxicated dumbass people peeing in the trees on my property. Yes, that has actually happened. A couple of years ago, a group of college-age kids decided to go on a hay rack ride down our road. Apparently, two of the women couldn’t hold it any longer. They jumped off of the trailer, and thinking they were being quiet as mice (they’re not all that quiet, by the way, but that’s a whole other discussion) made their way through the ditch, and into a stand of trees and brush at the front of our house. They giggled and hushed each other. Then my husband, who was outside taking care of a few things (because we were in the middle of hosting a Halloween party) heard them. He didn’t approach them or the trailer. He simply said loudly enough for all to hear, “You might not want to do that. There’s poison ivy all over the ground.” They moved pretty quickly after that.
And it hasn’t happened again, since.
But it made me think a lot more about being safe during holiday events, especially ones known to involve copious amounts of alcohol.
These tips might not be new to you, but it’s always a good idea to review them.
- Don’t drink to intoxication.
- Never leave your drink unattended.
- Have a buddy.
- If you’re alone, leave alone. There’s no shame in it.
- Carry Mace if it’s legal in your area.
- Carry a super bright, small flashlight.
- Dress however you want (Avoid racist costumes. That’s just annoying.)
- Make sure you have some cash for a taxi.
- Tell people where you’re going and when you think you’ll be home.
- Drink one glass of water before/after every drink you consume.
- Eat before you go to the party.
- Eat during the party (if there’s food available.)
- Carry a small snack in your purse.
- Pay attention to the people around you.
Well this is a pretty good start! Have a great time and stay safe this Halloween season. It’s a lot more fun when you can actually remember everything that happened.
Did I miss any tips? Tell me in the comments!